Advice from previous math students
What advice would you give to someone who is just starting this course?
- Ask questions and keep up on the work.
- Get help from the Quantitative Studies Center!
- Get a calculator you can use.
- Be prepared to work. Don't be afraid to ask for help!
- Get the basics down.
- Do obtain help before you get behind.
- Read before class, then listen to the lecture.
- Don't fall behind. It's very easy to and once you do fall behind it's hard to catch up.
- Take notes and ask questions.
- Go over the notes after class. Read before class.
- Do the homework.
- Review material as much as possible.
- Always do the homework.
- Keep up with the homework.
- Do your "own" homework.
Are there any strategies that you have tried in the past that didn't work very well for you?
- Just doing homework without reading the chapter.
- Using the answers in the back. Need to know how to solve on your own.
- Not doing sample problems to help review for the test.
- Trying to do all the work by myself and not asking questions.
- Just relying on homework to prepare for exams.
Describe the strategies that you do use.
- I read the class notes with the current chapter until I feel comfortable with it. Then I do the homework.
- I like to read over the section, if I have time, before class. I highlight important ideas and then write them on note cards.
- I prefer to have someone by my side when I study.
- Read the book and apply/compare my notes from class to the book's examples. I do sample problems to really understand the concepts.
- Read and re-read.
- Go over notes and get math help.
- I try to look over the section before I begin the assignment.
- Sit down at my desk or study room and look over my notes. Then attempt the homework.
- I get together with another classmate after I have tried to do it by myself and we do the ones we don't know together.
- I read over the section in the book and go over the examples before class. After class I review my notes and go over them to see if I understand everything.
- I read over my notes.
- I look through the notes and redo examples that were done in class. I always do the homework because if you miss one, then it will hurt you when trying to learn the next section.
- I use the notes that I take in class to figure out how to go through problems.
- I do the homework.
Copyright © 2018, David A. Reimann. All rights reserved.